Alpha Ministries Canada, a national Christian non-profit organization with an office in New Westminster, BC. We’re an organization that is engaged with each other and the church in Canada by making a big deal about Jesus and having fun doing it. We will encourage you to do what you love and to be good at it. Alpha Canada and this role works in partnership with Alpha International which is based in London, U.K.
You will be a part of the new Canadian team, focused on refactoring, maintaining, and migrating 2 legacy web apps on PHP/WordPress and Angular into new modern web app(s), which your team will be instrumental in architecting and implementing. We are looking for someone with experience with open-source platforms and technologies such as Linux, Node.JS and containerization with a strong, demonstrable knowledge of modern front-end frameworks such as Vue or Angular. You will be working closely with other product teams, especially with the Core Services team to convert user stories into tangible customer value.
What you get to do
- Plan, develop and deploy new features with the product team
- Actively engaged in improving our legacy software through refactoring and tests
- Contributing to discovery, requirements gathering and agile ceremonies to better improve the ways we deliver software in a timely and effective fashion
- Reducing the impact of legacy software on existing and new systems
- Improving code coverage and balancing technical debt. Technical debt is a reality in projects and the right candidate will have the experience to know when to take on technical debt and ensure through the process the team keeps it to a healthy minimum.
- Actively participates in code reviews – and willing to work in pair coding when more appropriate
- Collaborating with the Core Services team to ensure product work is aligned
What we’d love to see
- At least 3 years of hands-on, professional development experience, ideally in an enterprise environment or on software at scale.
- You live and can work in Canada, in a full-time remote position
- Experience with enterprise software and the needs of software at scale
- An understanding of working from the database to the browser. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, but should command strong knowledge of the browser client, working with API’s and modern SPA frameworks
- Comfortable with the command line
- Strong, demonstrable understanding of PHP and Angular with preference given to those that have a strong front-end leaning
- Demonstrable understanding on Node.JS and it’s runtime
- Willingness to learn more – including new languages if a project requires it
- Experience with Linux and related tooling
- Containerization, ideally with Docker
- An understanding of Agile software craftmanship and Scrum
- Focus on writing maintainable, clean code and can back up that statement with useful unit and integration tests
- You can solve problems independently and feel comfortable explaining solutions to other developers – before you touch a keyboard.
- Collaborative: Confident working collaboratively. You understand the need for defined standards and practices and have no problem adhering to them, working with the team to achieve success.
- Process-driven: You understand how important process is to a software team. You’re committed to ensuring your team understands and follows those processes such as code review, scrum, ticket management, etc.
What to expect from us:
- Flexible work environment. Work remote or in-office
- Supportive, diverse, faith-filled work environment
- Work that really makes a difference
- A competitive benefits and salary package
- A true understanding of the SDLC. We prefer a quality product over deadlines and fast-to-market solutions
- Yearly personal development budget (courses, seminars, workshops, etc)
- The tools you need to get your job done well
How to Apply
If you have a passion for the local church and want to utilize your gifts towards building the kingdom, please email a cover letter, resume, and your references to email@example.com, noting:
Re: Application – Software Engineer
See our website alphacanada.org for more information about Alpha Ministries Canada — no phone calls, please.